Assurance of your Salvation*

Assurance of Salvation: The Biblical teaching that God protects believers for the completion of their salvation.

No one can earn assurance or security with God. Assurance of salvation is God’s gift! Security does not come by absolutions, church attendance, good works, reciting Scripture, or performances of penance. God who has begun the work of salvation in Christians also provides the necessary assurance to bring His work to its completion in the day of Christ (Phil. 1:6).
(Phil 1:6 KJV)
 Being confident of this very thing,
 that he which hath begun a good work in you
 will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

God in Christ protects and keeps Christians (John 10:27-29; 2 Thess. 3:3)

(John 10:27-30 KJV)
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
{28} And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish,
neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
{29} My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all;
and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
 {30} I and my Father are one.

(2 Th 3:3-5 KJV)
  But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.
 {4} And we have confidence in the Lord touching you,
 that ye both do and will do the things which we command you.
 {5} And the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God,
and into the patient waiting for Christ.

 In like manner,  Jesus took seriously the task of preserving the disciples while He was on earth (John 17:12-15). We do not possess the strength to secure ourselves.

(John 17:12-17 KJV)
 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name:
those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost,
but the son of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled.
{13} And now come I to thee; and these things I speak in the world,
that they might have my joy fulfilled in themselves.
{14} I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them,
 because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
{15} I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world,
but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil.
{16} They are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.
{17} Sanctify them through thy truth:
thy word is truth.

The biblical view of security, however, is probably best epitomized in the Christian doctrine of perseveranceChristians must realize that their security does not lie in a fairy-tale approach to life where once a person becomes a Christian everything is a happy bed of roses forever and ever. Such a view fails to take seriously the traumas of human life.
 (Eph. 6:18; Heb. 12:1; Jas. 1:25).
(Eph 6:17-18 KJV)
 And take the helmet of salvation,
 and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:
{18} Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit,
and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints;

(Heb 12:1-4 KJV)
  Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses,
 let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us,
and let us run with patience the race that is set before us,
{2} Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;
who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame,
and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
{3} For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself,
lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.
{4} Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.

(James 1:25 KJV)
 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein,
he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work,
this man shall be blessed in his deed.

The biblical view of assurance or security is rooted in the conviction that when Jesus departed from the disciples, the Lord did not orphan them or leave them without support. He promised Christians that he would come to them and would provide them with a companion, The Holy Spirit (the Comforter or Paraclete) who would not only be at their side but would be within them, as much a part of them as their very breath

(John 14:15-21 KJV)
If ye love me, keep my commandments.
{16} And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter,
 that he may abide with you for ever; {17} Even the Spirit of truth;
 whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him;
for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
{18} I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.
 {19} Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more;
but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also.
{20} At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you.
 {21} He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me:
and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father,
and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

The Spirit would be their sense of peace and security, their witness concerning Jesus, their attorney with the world, and their guide or teacher into all truth (John 14:25-30; 15:26-27; 16:8-15).

(John 14:23-26 KJV)