I'm getting this failure when trying to build NBD, as part of
'autoreconf -vfi':

configure.ac:248: error: required file 'systemd/n...@.service.sh.in' not
found
tests/run/Makefile.am:4: warning: source file '$(top_srcdir)/cliserv.c'
is in a subdirectory,
tests/run/Makefile.am:4: but option 'subdir-objects' is disabled
automake: warning: possible forward-incompatibility.
automake: At least a source file is in a subdirectory, but the
'subdir-objects'
automake: automake option hasn't been enabled.  For now, the
corresponding output
automake: object file(s) will be placed in the top-level directory.
However,
automake: this behaviour will change in future Automake versions: they will
automake: unconditionally cause object files to be placed in the same
subdirectory
automake: of the corresponding sources.
automake: You are advised to start using 'subdir-objects' option
throughout your
automake: project, to avoid future incompatibilities.
autoreconf: automake failed with exit status: 1

I ran out of time to try and patch it today, if you want to beat me to it.