Hi Benedikt,
this must be solved simultaneously. It's better to have multiple authentication element for one account. Currently, you have only one method (TOTP) and only single authenticator linked to your account. And you have recovery code, which you must have noted somewhere in case the only authenticator fails - and such recovery code can be used to bypass MFA in current implementation. It's necessary to have the possibility of having multiple elements (primary, backup) and remove recovery codes completely.

Otherwise it won't be safe in terms of what MFA has to offer. If the organization has a shared account (which is also failure) and the recovery code leaks just like the password, you have similar problem again...

- Daniel