Hello John,

The heat dissipation should be calculated from measurements, not from maximum
ratings.  It is most common for the input into the equipment to be -52.6 VDC as
this is the standard float voltage in C.O.'s.  It probably is not a big deal if
you use -48 VDC, you will just have higher current.  You must
also subtract any power that is dissipated in OSP cables, and remote equipment
such as phones, span powered remotes, etc.  You must also add in any power that
may be dissipated by the equipment that comes from other equipment on telecom
or other types of ports.  An example is an FXO card which sinks
current from an FXS or other POTS line.  Another example is sealing current, if
your equipment "sinks" sealing current on an interface such as ISDN, DDS,  T1,
HDSL, etc., you need to add it to your equipment's heat dissipation.  Remember
that if you "source" sealing current or span power, you need
to subtract the power sent to other equipment, it is dissipated elsewhere such
as remotely or in the footprint of other equipment in the C.O.

POTS interfaces can be tricky though as the power dissipated in each interface
can vary radically with its on-hook/off-hook state (almost 0 watts on-hook, and
.5 to a couple watts off-hook).  If you are testing FXO's, you also can have
drastic differences if the POTS interface feeding it is a
constant voltage (old step x  step switch or older FXS) or a constant current
(newer electronic switch, PBX, FXS's, etc.).  Taking all the ports off-hook at
the same time will give you a worst case scenario, but that is rarely
representative of reality.  Most customers can provide you with the CCS
number that you need to use.  The CCS number helps you determine the percentage
of off hook/ringing/active POTS lines at any given time.  We have seen
typically that range to be 17% to 50%.  We typically have the labs make the
calculations at 17%, 50%, and 100%, this way the end customer can
interpolate the heat dissipation based on typical loads.  I believe all
customers allow you to assume constant current switches, FXS's, PBX's now.

For non-POTS interfaces and equipment the calculations are typically much
easier as the wattage does not vary much with load.  One technology to be
careful of is ADSL though.  It varies substantially with cable length and
whether it is trained (sync'd) with a remote or not trained.  Most other DSL's
have the same or similar heat dissipation even if not sync'd.

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim Wiese
NEBS Project Manager/Compliance Engineer
ADTRAN, INC.
901 Explorer Blvd.
P.O. Box 140000
Huntsville, AL 35814-4000