From: Joe Finlayson [mailto:jfinlay...@telica.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 3:15 PM
To: 'Richard Hughes'; 'EMC PSTC'; 'NEBS Newsgroup'; 'TREG Newsgroup'
Subject: RE: RTTE or LVD for Equipment with E1 SELV interface

Richard,

      Good point - the "directly or indirectly" part grabbed my attention
but that seems too broad a description which could encompass quite a wide
range of equipment.  However, the point of discussion here is whether a
product classified as SELV by IEC 60950, Type 2 by GR-1089, etc. and does
not connect (interface) to the "Public" telecommunications network is
included in the scope of the R&TTE Directive.  This type of product resides
in the network and does not connect to outside plant conductors - terminates
to another piece of equipment with the proper isolation to outside plant
conductors.  My interpretation is that if there is no provision for physical
connection to the PSTN, the R&TTE does not apply.

    Any takers???  I'll copy the TREG and NEBS gurus on this one as well.

Thx,

Joe