I have been tasked with porting an existing application originally
created in ASP to C#. The original application code doesn't just have
a lot of code smells, it really stinks. There is code duplication all
over the place, no COM objects, stored procedures with 350+ input
parameters, etc. In short, the code is a mess.
Also, I am new to extreme programming and agile methods in general. I
have read a couple of books (an extreme programming book a couple of
years ago and am about 2/3 of the way through with _Agile Software
Development_ by Robert Martin).
I am having some difficulty approaching the project for several reasons:
* Currently I am the only developer working on the conversion project,
but have been working on management to get someone for me to pair
with.
* The code will need to be almost entirely re-written.
* I am not comfortable with the data model (there isn't an existing
object model). If I change the data model, I will have to be able to
convert the existing data.
* Management has never done an XP project before
* I am new to the company and don't have all the domain knowledge to
completely understand the system
* Whenever I try to get management in a room to discuss the
functionality of the system, they always seem to want to focus on
making sure the user interface is pretty instead of creating testable
software.
* Management has put a lot of trust in me and I really don't want to
screw this up.
If you were in my shoes, how would you approach this project? What
should my first steps be? How can I rein in management to understand
the importance of helping me to create user stories that are small,
testable, and estimable?
Any help is sincerely appreciated,
Doug Perkes
To Post a message, send it to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.com
Yahoo! Groups Links
<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/extremeprogramming/
<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/