== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Tues, Dec 7 2004 12:20 am
From: Chris Smith

Andrew Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, you judge this as 'irritable'?
>
> "Hi.  Could you post questions of this nature to comp.lang.java.help *
> rather than c.l.j.programmer in future?"

No, I read the web page you linked to; the one where you said "Short
sharp rebukes will be in store for any who dare post a lazy, ill-thought
out, badly researched or otherwise stupid question to c.l.j.programmer".
If that's true, it's a sad statement about the group.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

TOPIC: Can Java Programmer Learn C++ Quickly?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_thread/thread/7c7a28aa864e41ec

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Tues, Dec 7 2004 12:30 am
From: Chris Smith

Rhino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'd be very curious to know how long it took people here who were fluent in
> Java to get fairly fluent in C++ if they started with approximately the same
> skills I have today.

I don't have that particular experience (I had been working in C++ for
some time before Java existed), but I can offer a comment.  Learning the
basics of any new language, for a competent developer who's already got
a few behind them, ought to take something on the order of days.  What
takes a lot longer (meaning months) is becoming effective in that
language and surrounding environments.  Unfortunately, the latter task
is difficult to even approach unless you've got some kind of non-trivial
project to work on, and that comes from using the language for real
work.

So yeah, I don't doubt you can learn the C++ language fairly quickly,
but how productive will you be once the Java standard API is nowhere in
sight and you're working with something called Qt or MFC instead?  And
will you write good code, or code that reads like the transliteration of
Java into C++ that it is?  That's the main difficulty here.  You may
want to obtain more information from this perspective employer on what
level of C++ experience they are looking for.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

TOPIC: Java better get a rich thin client, or it will die!!!
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_thread/thread/9d0a115aefea785f

== 1 of 2 ==
Date: Tues, Dec 7 2004 12:33 am
From: Chris Smith

Keith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Could some hot shot java programmer quickly come up with a light weight
> java framework for creating rich thin web clients.... or the end will
> be near for java...
>
> Flash is leap frogging java (in some ways)

Are you serious here?

If Flash is better than Java at creating interactive visual content for
web sites (and I think it likely is, though that's not my area of
experience), then go use Flash!  Java will do just fine, thanks, without
any concern for interactive animations on web pages.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

== 2 of 2 ==
"Keith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hello,
>
> Could some hot shot java programmer quickly come up with a light weight
> java framework for creating rich thin web clients.... or the end will
> be near for java...
>
> Flash is leap frogging java (in some ways)

Why don't you leap frog from here to comp.lang.java.advocacy

TOPIC: JavaBeans, Tomcat and deployment.
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_thread/thread/efc112c5ac70daa8

== 1 of 1 ==
Date: Mon, Dec 6 2004 11:00 pm
From: Mike Cox

I recently built a simple Tomcat servlet that accessed a database.  Reading
through various documentation I discovered JavaBeans.  I don't understand
what they are, as I'm already doing database access through the servlet and
a jdbc connection.

Why are there JavaBeans if one can do database access through Servlets? Can
one even do JavaBeans with just Jakarta/Tomcat 4.1?  If so, is there a
simple example that shows JavaBeans, Servlets and JSP in action so I could
better understand the relationships between them?

Finally, I have a question about Tomcat itself.  If one wanted to deploy an
application how would the users get to it?  The default config is to
localhost and to listen on port 8080.  How would someone visiting the site
even be able to reach the servlet when it is on port 8080?  Or is that
something that everyone changes to port 80 when they are ready to deploy?

In advance I would like to thank you for your help.

TOPIC: (OT) Re: Using hobby source code in your job ?
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.java.programmer/browse_thread/thread/a60dfe865a7807c4

== 1 of 1 ==