ENTERPRISE STRATEGIES: AHEAD OF THE CURVE       http://www.infoworld.com
Tuesday, December 21, 2004

THE ECONOMY SERVES UP A HARD PILL TO SWALLOW

By Tom Yager

Posted December 17, 2004 3:00 PM Pacific Time

The reason you're still reading stories and hearing speeches about the
economic recovery is because everyone is praying that things are still
crappy enough to get better.

RESEARCH STUDY: THE KEY TO BUSINESS SERVICE MANAGEMENT
Today's enterprise is increasingly dependent on IT, to
the point that operating without its services is nearly
impossible.  Are you on the shortest path to IT-business
alignment? Find out when you download this
complimentary benchmark study from Filigree Research,
sponsored by BMC Software. You'll learn about the
current state of IT-business alignment in 565 IT
organizations around the world.
http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=A8D3E3:2B910B2

Sorry to break the news, but the Federal Reserve System won't suffer the
economy any more malingering.

We're being weaned off narcotic interest rates after having been on them
a little too long -- long enough to fantasize that we'd always be able
to get another bump of credit with a simple phone call. Like it or not,
our hospital stay is over. Much as we'd like to, we can't stay sick
forever. Like recuperating patients milking one more day of fluffed
pillows, Jell-O, and morphine, we're wringing the last sweet drops of
free money, low cost of goods, and comparatively cheap labor out of the
economy.

The best advice for coping with a return to the real world reaches back
to that parent or relative who forced you to darn socks, build bird
houses, or change the oil in the station wagon because -- all together
now: Someday you might need to do this for yourself. At the time, all
you wanted to do was ride your bike or play baseball, but take a moment
now to thank the person whom you thought was wasting your time.

Your life lessons in self-sufficiency will serve you well as you get to
know the son of the son of the new economy. I think he's going to be a
homely little cuss at best. The ultrasound is inconclusive for horns and
a tail.

I know it's difficult to think of the present economy as a healthy one
for technology, partly for the reason I mentioned above -- we want to be
coddled for as long as possible -- but also because R&D, which stalled
during the recession, has only been back online for a little more than a
year. Nobody is loving this engineering fest more than I. Surely there
must be an endless supply of cheaper and faster technology for less and
less money.

I predict that this is as good as it gets, at least for a quite a while,
and I'm not alone in this. High tech's high rollers are collectively
retreating into their bunkers again, just as they did leading into the
recession. Big technology vendors have economic and market analysts on
retainer, and while they're not always right, you can at least credit
them with enough smarts to hold a wet finger aloft.

On what I presume is professional advice, vendors (example: AMD, IBM,
and Motorola) are shedding or shifting manufacturing to overseas
facilities, delaying the introduction of high-end products (example:
Apple, Microsoft, and Sun), bringing tech to other global markets first
(example: Nokia and Research In Motion), and cutting the features of
products yet to be introduced (example: Microsoft).

That's their strategy. It doesn't help you much except to wake you from
your dream of the $50 rack server.

I recommend recalling the advice of mentors and practice doing, making,
and fixing for yourself those things that the recovery, what I call the
itty-bitty bubble, may have convinced you would be handled for you at
ever-decreasing costs.

It's time to keep your acquisition and operating costs flat, or
declining, while inflation drives up your overall costs.

I'm sure it can be done.

I learned to do it while darning socks.

Tom Yager is technical director of the InfoWorld Test Center.

Stay On Top of Open Source
Want to keep up on the hottest developments in the open
source world?  Want more information about Linux?
Let InfoWorld bring you cutting-edge coverage every
week in the Linux and Open Source Report. For all the
news that will keep you on top, go to
http://newsletter.infoworld.com/t?ctl=A8D3DF:2B910B2

ADVERTISE