I haven't watched neo4j run for long periods of time, but I would try this to start:
    - put everything on HDD
    - shut down Neo4j
    - move everything under graph.db, keystore, and possibly rrd on SSD
- create symlinks for the graph.db directory and the keystore and possibly rrd files - create a symlink from messages.log back to somewhere on HDD [but see notes below]
    - start Neo4j back up again
- create a github issue for Neo4j to put *all* log files under the log directory - or better yet see my file location note below

However, this won't work the way it should if Neo4j is constantly creating new messages.log files under graph.db

If it does, then you could create a cron job to move old ones back to SSD. Most apps never reference the old log files. You could use Michael Hunger's suggestion to limit the size of messages.log file.

To tell the truth, I really don't like the idea that they mix code and data in the same directory structure during install. That's generally a bad practice - kind of Windows 3.11 thinking - where everyone just slapped everything under C:\ That went out in the last millennium.

Apps should be able to locate things into three areas:
    apps - which should go in the standard place for the OS [NOT /var]
data - which should default to a standard location but be be controllable logs - which should go into a standard location for the OS - or better yet use the OS logging mechanism [like syslog] and you should probably use logrotate for those OSes that use it.

Linux and I suspect POSIX has standards for these things, and they don't mix everything together on /var.

A note about using syslog -- if your app is going to log a lot, it can get blocked by syslog calls - so you may want to log in a separate process or thread