Hello Eric,
I'm sure you are aware of this difference, but would anyway put it here.
What are you using to create the Relationship? CREATE or *CREATE UNIQUE.*
I have observed that CREATE will create another relationship even though
there is a pre-existing relationship. That is the contract of CREATE.

Sharing your query that creates the relationship, after scrubbing out
sensitive data might help us help you.

Cheers!

-- Mahesh

-- Thanks and Regards