From: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com [mailto:neonixie-l@googlegroups.com] On
Behalf Of JohnK
Sent: donderdag 30 juni 2011 15:01
To: neonixie-l@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: [neonixie-l] Re: now a full 7179 clock from the same seller,
check out those tubes

Yes it was wasn't it.

However the scenario I had in mind [and my experience] both allow for
'probably' OK.
The mil capacitors of post-war gear have been good for treatment if just
lousy due to storage time.
The capacitors in old commercial radios any era depend on manufacturer. I
don't collect them but had re-furbished two with sentimental value - hence
the caps are disconnected and new types 'temporarily' fitted. This is to
protect the mains transformer as much as anything else. Added thermal fuse
to transformers as insurance -weak as it may be.
WWII caps are hit and miss.

The capacitors that you mention "a hostile-ish environment (near tubes and
other sources of heat)," are in a category that I call Faulty or worn out. I
am/was talking about OK caps that were stored for ages - they can be
revitalised [generally] and I hear such comments from WWII Rx collectors  eg
WS19 which is much in vogue over your way.

I have had more trouble with 'modern' caps. Even the manufacturers specs
don't give you much confidence in commercial quality electros. I can
remember the probs we [a gov dept] experienced at inwards goods - eg the
Philips electros came in different 'life' categories. They were marked the
same; only difference was the physical size. Some suppliers were either
trying it on or were as ignorant as some of our inspectors !

With 'modern' gear I replace instead of mucking about; and some collector
will rant and rave about it in 50 years  :-))

Speaking of modern - a capacitor characteristic often overlooked in current
times is the manufacturer specified operating voltage RANGE. Using a cap
well below the marked voltage causes it to do two things; lose capacitance
and also become resistive [ie leaky, but not liquid if you follow me]. In
the 90s I was trouble-shooter at a largish [>2000 employee] local company
and there were product recalls due to acceptance of electro caps of higher
than specified voltage. eg 50V instead of 6V. The circuit already worked at
a non-optimum <2.5V across the cap and that was acknowledged in the design.

I guess I was motivated by my hate of needless destruction of old gear.
Attempt a reform - replace if required.

John K.
[PS  The very old electros that slosh when you move them are better
'temporarily' replaced as I have done in my old Airzone. An explosion of
those is a real mess and dangerous. The explosion of a typical WWII and
later type just results in a bit of paste splatter and tons of paper and
foil. (says I who had just moved his unprotetced eyes to the other side of
my home-made 6 x 807 surplus parts guitar amp. As a schoolboy I just
purchased the WWII surplus caps and wired them up. 800V parts and used at
650V. )]

[PPS. I suppose this is one of those topics you mentioned that moved
off-topic is it?]