I'm starting to see a dramatic increase in the rate of failure on old
chips like that, both at home and in my lab at work where I have
drawers full of old TTL and CMOS -- in anti static packaging. I think
that the hermetic seal of the IC packages are breaking down over the
decades.

Typically the legs show high rates of tarnish on the failure prone
chips, but I see that on good chips as well. I suspect the failure
rate will go up. It doesn't bode well for a lot of old equipment and
computers that employ these parts.

Terry



On Jul 22, 8:08 pm, Mimewar <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm up to three tubes, (coding takes longer than wiring) funny thing
> is, the first 74141 (Fairchild I assume by the capitol "F") wouldn't
> display "5" or "6", so I swapped it for another, this time the "4"
> stays on all the time.  I tried a third, and that one works.  I have
> caps added across all ICs, and the third try worked.  Is this common?
> Are the Russian 74141s better than the US?
>
> Thanks
>
> Shane

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?hl=en-GB.

Reply via email to