Hi everyone!  I've got some questions for the group, but before I ask
them, I do want to assure everyone that I've spend DAYS reading all
the threads, and trolling the net looking at probably 100 plans,
printing, and studying them.  I have six IN-14's and I have arrived at
what I want my clock to be in my head.  I do NOT want to buy any kits/
boards.  I have seen so many schematics, I think I'm prepared to bring
all the good ideas I've seen from them into a single design of my own.

* PIC/AVR based for tube-life (anti-poison, and auto-off)
* PCB must be all through-hole, single sided because I layout and etch
my own using Eagle.
* 555-based HVPSW (because its small, simple, adjustable, popular, and
well documented)
* 74141 for simplicity (they *are* cheap and easy to come by)
* Opto-isolated (TLP627-4) anode drive (because its easy and simple; I
love me some DIPs)

Questions:
* Is there any reason to choose a 2x3 multiplex (mux) over 1x6?  (Is a
1x6 prone to flicker or dim?)
* Although I'm an accomplisher programmer, I have very little
assembler and C++ background.  Is PICbasic "good enough" for a clock?
I've looked at some sample code and it seems very understandable.  Is
it fast enough?  Does the PICbasic complier create bloated code
requiring a bigger uC?
* Is a uC with an xtal "accurate enough" or do you really need a
Dallas RTC?
* In a 1x6 mux, what is the known optimal voltage and current for
IN-14's?  (Also, for a 2x3 mux?)
* And during the final build, could you measure V&C while muxing, or
do you need to measure in direct drive tuning to the muxed values?
* The previous 2 questions could simply be reduced to, "whats a good
anode V, and value for the anode resistor for IN-14's?"  :)
* What are some recommended on/off/delay times for a 1x6 and 2x3 mux
that both look good and maximize brightness without stressing the
IN-14's?
* Is it electrically correct just to throw a diode in series with each
anode to help minimize ghosting by reducing capacitance in the tube-
board?
* Whats a good duration & frequency to exercise a cathode for anti-
poisoning assuming normal operating V&C during the routine?  I was
assuming a 0-though-9 cycle at the top of each hour where each cathode
is on 1 second.  Is this reasonable?
* In anti-poisoning, is it better to do a 1-second continuous burn,
or .1 seconds ten times to increase strikes?  Does it even matter?

Thanks for your responses.  I've got the parts for my HVPSW on the way
so I can start breadboarding and light my first cathode.  :)

-Ryan


-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"neonixie-l" group.
To post to this group, send an email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/neonixie-l?hl=en-GB.

Reply via email to