Hi and welcome to the group. If you are in the UK, I can help you out
with tubes etc. but it wouldn't be economic otherwise.

Whole bunches of designs out there but with an EE background, I'm sure
a simple standard logic or uP-based solution could be built for 20
bucks ex-tubes on perf board or whatever. Using IN-14s or -16s, you
should get them for USD 10-15 or so for 4, and most of the rest can be
obtained from salvaged parts - only a few "speciality" parts - 1
inductor (about 100 to 220uH), 1 fast diode (UF4007 or similar), a
reasonable commodity HV FET (like an IRF730A or similar) and a small
fairly low ESR HV capacitor (between 1 & 3.3uF, 200V - use 2 or more
1uF in parallel to drop the overall ESR cheaply)

It might be interesting to see just how cheaply a 4-digit clock can be
built, rather than the rather expensive stuff the most of us churn
out... !

Cheers

Nick