> Would some combination of power on/power off, ambient light on/off> stacked
> images provide a more realistic or pleasing image?> > Happy New Year!> Tom

It would help if we had some background info, without the sales pitch.
Here's a link of what I think you're talking about:
http://keithwiley.com/astroPhotography/imageStacking.shtml

There is also focus stacking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_stacking

This one, I ask, why not just tighten up your aperture (bigger number,
smaller hole).

Now as far as image stacking. Is that what you truly want ? In either
case above, they are just subsets of multiple exposures. "Image
stacking" for greater S/N & dynamic range, and "focus stacking" for
depth of field (again make the aperture tighter). I guess I'm assuming
people have a camera where this can be adjusted. It can if you have an
SLR. And that might work for either case. I have a SLR and a cheap
point-n-shoot. With the better camera (SLR btw), its not the
megapixels, but the "glass" (optics). Also the extra control. I notice
the point-n-shoot images are very noisy, even though it has more
megapixels than my older SLR. In full manual mode I can adjust all
aspects independently (shutter speed, aperture, flash ...).

All that said, I'm not a photographer, by any stretch of the
imagination. I do, however, understand the "mechanics". I just have no
concept of composition.

Oh yeah, get a tripod. This is a great asset. At Christmas, I love
watching people take flash pictures with their point-n-shoots, only to
have pictures of "what-the-heck-is-this". Plop you camera down with
the tripod. Open up the lens for a second or two, and you don't need a
flash, plus the image will be "integrated" (the math term), just like
you eyeballs do it. You can also take multiple pictures of your
subject, with different settings. You can then merge those images
together, or simply just use the best one.

Take a flash picture (1/60 second exposure nominally) of the image
below:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20801462@N00/333576784/in/photostream

and you get a picture of a stick. It takes 1/5 of a second to make one
sweep. At 1/60, you only freeze a 1/12th of it (a stick). Math it
works. Don't fear it. Use it. Use a tripod mounted camera, with a 1/2
second exposure, and you capture over one sweep. One sweep minimum,
and the flash would have f*** it up.

This tube is the merging of two photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/20801462@N00/260062132/in/photostream

One with, and one without flash. The flash revealed the printing, and
finer structures, but will wash out any light originating from the
subject. So I took a picture without the flash, to show the tube
flashing. Then merged them together.

BTW: for you Coast-to-Coast fans, those photos of "rods", are just
moths streaking across an image while the shutter is open. Its not a
mystery life form.