Try connecting the anode of the led to +12v through a resistor, then
connect the cathode of the led to the emmiter of the pnp tranny, then
connect the collector to ground, a logic zero on the base of the
tranny through a 10k resistor should light up the led, you need also
to connect a diode like a 1n4148 in series with the base of the
tranny, cathode to micro and anode to tranny (beacuse when the micro
goes logic high - 5v there will still be 12v - 5v = 7v on the base
still turning it on).