I'd reccomend a numtron, they are the simplest kind of vintage
display, essentially just 7 or 8 bulbs in one glass tube.
A single digit version ought to be simple to build, do a google.
If your not writing the code a multiplexed display is simpler to
build.
You can still get 74141's on ebay, my designs use a 4017, its a 1 of
10 decoder and only needs 2 wires back to the microcontroller.
If you can solder then you can do it.