I have never used a potentiometer in my MAX1771-based supplies.  The
reason is, they make it more difficult to do a better PCB layout, and
anyway the regulated output voltage from the supply using fixed 1 %
resistors is accurate enough for the purpose of powering a Nixie
display.  I could always replace the resistors with different values
if I wanted a different output voltage.

I wish you good luck with the TPS40210 design.

By the way, I do use trimpots in the microcontroller-based supplies
that power my more recent Nixie designs.  This is because I use a
built-in comparator instead of an ADC, and the reference voltage is
not specified as precisely as a purpose-built controller.  I'm
probably as concerned as you are about the reliability of the
controlling software.  Safety can be improved somewhat by placing a
high-pass filter between the uC and FET driver, and also making the
software create a series of one-shot pulses instead of letting the PWM
controller run freely.

Ken