I normally work with 5mm or 3mm IR leds and pulse currents between 1A
and 2A are quite common. Not too sure about visible light LEDs, I
found some that have absolute maximum ratings of 300mA @ 1/10 duty
cycle. The used duty cycle for this clock is much lower so I am pretty
sure they will withstand at least 500mA. My experience is that is it
much easier to fry an LED by applying a too high reverse voltage
rather than a too high forward current.

Michel