This thread reminded me about the surplus store in
Orlando, FL called Skycraft.   Every time I am nearby
(every year or so), I always stop in there to look around.

They have two aisles full of cabinets that have the little
plastic drawers.  There are different groups of those cabinets
for the various logic families and many sorts of ics.

I always pull open the 7441, 74141, and 74142 drawers to
have a look, and they are always full of the same dust
they have always had in them since I started looking.
But one never knows if a few ics may show up sometime.

This last visit though, I thought to pull open the
4500 drawer, and to my surprise, there they were!!
So I bought a few of them.  Motorola MC14500B is the official
name for it.  It is a 16-pin DIP package that is a one-bit
processor that has 16 instructions.  It can run at a clock
frequency of anything from DC to 1 mHz.  Also known
as MC14500B "Industrial Controller".

I find that all fascinating.  And so I have also found a
copy of a 100+ page book printed by Motorola which is a
complete manual for using and testing this ic.

I plan on doing a series of experiments with it.

So, as long as the topic of rare old and hard-to-find ics
came up with the mention of 74142, I thought I'd mention
the 4500.   Anyone else out there ever work with the 4500?

Chuck

$4.95/mo. National Dialup, Anti-Spam, Anti-Virus, 5mb personal web space. 5x
faster dialup for only $9.95/mo. No contracts, No fees, No Kidding! See
http://www.All2Easy.net for more details!