Hi Otto,

In my expierence all the old Russian neons have quality issues. Of the INS-1s I have worked with it seems only 1 out of 20 >will glow well for more than a week. These are far better than the IN-3s tho... out of my purchase of 500 only 30 or so >worked as well as NOS American-made counterparts. Perhaps you and I have gotten bad batches or maybe the seals are >suffering from time...

-Otto

Wow, what a drag to hear. Are there any similar American made end view tubes? This clock has to get out the door.

Have you "aged" the INS-1's before use?

Many neon indicators needs to be "aged" properly before use so the ones not working properly can be removed, you can >read about aging neon indicators here: http://www.dos4ever.com/ring/ring.html , scroll down to "More on Neon Tubes" to >read about aging, but read the rest too as it is interresting reading!

Martin,

No, I didn't. Turns out I did do sorta that yesterday. I discovered I had swapped the anode and cathode wires, so I switched them back and then ran 'em at about 1mA for 1/2 an hour or so. I read and will re-read the page you linked, but any guidlines on these tubes? How much current and for how long?

They are at least working again. Thanks!

Jonathan