Hello,
You should not place a linear regulator (7809) between the transformer and the boost switching supply. Go ahead and remove it. The only components I would place between the transformer and the input to the high voltage supply are maybe a 1n4007 protection diode and one or two bypass caps.

Also, the reason your transformer is reading 18.7v is because it was not loaded when you measured it. All transformers are like that, you just have to design for it. :) Also, it's somewhat important to use transformers that are rated for something close to the current draw that you intend. A 100w 12v transformer isn't ever going to sink down to 12v if your design only draws 5w.

-Adam