I found this at radiomuseum.org:
<quote>

At this point, I should clarify the difference between the IN-9 and the IN-13

The IN-13 takes up to 5mA for a 12cm orange glow from Neon gas, and has three electrodes. One perforated cylinder as the anode, a central wire cathode for the glow, and a short pilot cathode to start the glow.

Most IN-9 take up to 10mA for a 10cm purple glow from Argon gas, and only have two electrodes.

But some IN-9, like the one used in this thread, are filled with Neon gas and glow orange, but the current rating and size are still same.

Confusion between the two glow colors caused me to make a mistake I made in this thread: The tube you see in this thread is a*2 pin IN-9*, not a 3 pin IN-13.

In terms of application of the tube, the two glow tubes the significant differences are the maximum current and the extra pilot cathode for the IN-13. The strike voltage around 120V and sustain voltage around 100V are similar among all three tubes.

The IN-13 has twice the sensitivity of the IN-9, so this should be taken into account when applying the tube. If the glow swing is too extreme, some resistance in series with the tube can be added.

The pilot cathode of the IN-13 requires a small current to insure that the main cathode starts properly. This negative bias could be obtained with a 100-500kOhm resistor to the grid circuit of the local oscillator. The grid of the local oscillator, usually develops around -10V, which is enough to supply up to 100uA into the pilot cathode of the IN-13.

The extra -10V of bias at the pilot cathode of the IN-13, eliminates the need for the startup circuit with a diode and resistor, which I included in the circuit above for the IN-9. This was necessary because the low B+ of an AC/DC 117VAC radio may not guaranty the starting voltage for the two terminal IN-9.

Best regards,

-Joe

</quote>

-Adam