I've not heard of sleeping sickness till now, but I think I've seen it
on a couple of tube I have, they dont work untill I crank up the
volatge to the point where all the others are way too bright.
Like you I kept them in case they can be sorted, I'll put them on my
hv supply and cook them in and see if that sorts them out.