Hello, well the cat problem has escalated. I opened the door this morning
and there was a unfamiliar tom on the stairs who had our cat backed up by
the window so he couldn't get to his accustomed cat bed. I caused some
consternation on the part of the 2 cats, finally after some growling the
tom bailed out the window which I promptly closed. This is the second time
that I have seen the tom on the stairs and some things on the landing got
broken.
   One of the guys on Neonixie-l pointed out some cat doors that work with
a collar. Due to the situation with our cat and me having to spray
Fabreze on the landing for the smell. I went and ordered a cat door
that was pointed out to me on E-bay, it works with a special collar. So
till that comes we will have to work out something with the cat on
going in and out.  Skink the cat is going to the vets for a neutering
on the 9th of January, I will get him chipped at the same time and then
I may look to upgrade the door. Chip operated doors run well over $100
though.
  So I want to thank everybody for the ideas and the links to the door.  I
havn't had a cat that we let inside for well over 10 years so I havn't
kept up on any of the doors etc for cats.  All your ideas were a help
and I appreciate them very much.
  Happy holidays to everybody!
                                          Tim Laing