> You could maybe regulate the nixie current (instead of using LEDs) so
> the active display is brighter than the inactive one.

Hadn't considered. Truth be told; I saw the LED back lit clocks and
basically thought it was a cool idea.
Maybe I'll do that on Rev2.

On Thursday, February 7, 2013 4:25:09 AM UTC-6, mikegregg wrote:

<<The first this I see that I do not understand is here I see the opto
isolator.  As I understand it, you are planning on running the leds
through it.

The construction of your circuit is a bit confusing to me. It looks
like you are running the base rail of the transistors for your led's
off of a line going through the first led(Q7A)? I'm not sure why you
are doing that. Are you trying to use the led as a current regulator
or something? >>

Q7A is a diode connected Transistor; which is the left half of a standard
Current Mirror.
The LED (D7A) and the .7V diode connected transistor are driven by R62 as a
current limitor.
Q22 provides a propotional voltage drop against the setting of the Pot at
R65. The idea here is that R65 controls the brightness of that single LED
(D7A); which is "current mirrored" into the other LEDs. So; controlling one
LEDs brightness is "mirrored" into the others.
Q7B-Q1B are all the other side of a current mirror.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_4/14.html

<<It's a good idea to put a limiting resistor on the anodes of your
Nixie tubes to avoid burning them out if you accidentally turn
multiple legs on.>>

Already present. 12.5K ... ie R13.

<<I do not know what your incoming data is like, so I cannot speak very
much to the rest of your circuit. It looks like you get the display
data in on a 4 bit BCD shift register? >>

Correct; BCD for the digit. And D7-D1 controlls which "anode" is updated.

<<What is the section of the circuit  with the 4555d and 4503d components
doing? >>

Address translation for 7digit displays in a 6digit system. Item#2 above:
http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_d7.html

<<I hope you'll post images of your finished product when you are done. :)

Certainly. :D

John