Looks like a very nice build!  If you decide to try again, you might
consider using Numitron tubes - their vibration tolerance is pretty
amazing.  RCA, for example, quotes lifetimes of 100,000 hours while
operating at 50G impact and 2.5G continuous vibration (100G non-operating
shock rating).  They were commonly used in aircraft displays during the
cold war, and so were designed for high-vibration environments.  Wamco
makes even more rugged ones, though they're quite pricey if you can find
them.  The Russian ones are quite cheap (~$3 per tube), and although not as
rugged as the RCAs, are still very robust.  Also, they are easily readable
in daylight, even in direct sun, and only need 5V at 20mA per segment to
operate.

I used several in a Burning Man mutant vehicle a few years ago - very
rugged environment, high temperature, pervasive caustic dust, bright
sunlight, and the vehicle was a Taylor-Dunn electric vehicle with
essentially no suspension, over a dry lake bed.  Many other failures
ensued, but the real-time sonar display (did I mention the dust? white-outs
are common) worked perfectly the whole time.
~~
Mark Moulding