You can always ask Brent Hilpert if he has reverse engineered his unit
which he shows here:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/e/edte/Hunter120A/index.html . He has a very
nice webpage with more early counters here:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/e/edte/index.html and his main webpage here:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~hilpert/ . I know he has reverse engineered some of
his units as I asked for schematics for some other units a long time ago.

/Martin