Hello!

As for the sputtering.. I once bought a bunch of ZM1042, Z566M, ZM1040
and similar tubes.. Those tubes (ZM1042) doesnt have a mercury
capsule, so I think there is no mercury present. Notice, that those
tubes have a hole on the side of the anode. (look here:
http://www.jb-electronics.de/images/elektronik/nixies/n_zm1043s/zm1043s_aus_2.jpg)
I am not sure about the reason for making such a hole here, but I
think that it is there to show age of the tube by looking on a
deposited layer of metal on the glass just in place of the hole. Some
of the tubes were used, some a lot. And there alway was a layer of
metal on the glass next to that hole. Interesting was that there were
no visible layer deposited on the glass in the place of anode grid.
I later found an information (in Weston or Roth book) about relation
of size of the hole in anode and amount of particles able to go
through it. I didnt study it much as I solved different problems, but
I made a quick calculation and found that for our conditions, the hole
must be smaller than 2.5mm to prevent depositing the metal on glass.
That pretty well fits to a shape and form of the common anode grids.
And it also fits for that "service" hole that is around 4mm wide.

Another thing - is there anyone who saw a tube that would have
sputtered metal layer in front of the anode grid?

What do You think guys?

Dalibor

2013/10/10 AlexTsekenis <alextseke...@gmail.com>:
> Hi Nick, thanks for following up on this.
>
> Yes, there are a couple of end of life statements criteria on that page,
> here is p334 for reference. As far as the end of life luminosity is
> concerned, I have adopted a threshold of 30% of initial brightness taking
> into considering the modern applications of these tubes.
>
> Indeed it is a good text with many references to research of the time. The
> chapter on sputtering does cover two-three theoretical models but these fail
> at the higher gas pressures in commercial tubes (sputtering rate inversely
> related to pressure). There is however at least one author who took the
> experimental path, Stocker B. J. 1961.
>
> I get the impression that research interest on sputtering, one of the most
> complex topic of this technology, faded away after the introduction of the
> LED in the late 60s mid 70s. Hopefully we will come to an agreement on the
> end of life of commonly used tubes using experimental methods, handmade
> tubes being of particular interest.
>
> Alex
>
> On Thursday, October 10, 2013 11:53:27 AM UTC+1, Nick wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, 2 October 2013 15:55:46 UTC+1, AlexTsekenis wrote:
>>>
>>> Nick, thank you for the swift reply.
>>>
>>> I've scanned in p340, here. The book is the exact one in the reference.
>>>
>>> On this page Weston explains the impact of digit cycling on lifespan. The
>>> point of a gradual rather than abrupt end of life is also made. However I
>>> was not able to find the aforementioned 50% threshold. I also checked p240
>>> and p140. Could it be that it is somewhere else in this chapter? I am
>>> conscious this would appear as pedantic, but the quoted end of life due to
>>> loss of luminosity comes down to this important threshold.
>>

>> Finally  checked this - you are right - the actual references to
>> end-of-life are in paragraph 2 of page 334 where he considers EOL to be
>> either a discontinuous glow over the digit or the glow spreading to
>> elsewhere in the tube. I know I've seen the 50% reference somewhere else, so
>> I'll have to dig through my library.
>>
>> I'd forgotten what a comprehensive book Weston is - lots of good stuff
>> about sputtering in there, including detailed analysis of cathode materials,
>> their performance and lifespan with and without Hg doping...
>>
>> Nick

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/neonixie-l/47d6e7af-f02d-46a7-8bf9-86a845292dc4%40googlegroups.com.

Dalibor Farny
http://dalibor.farny.cz