Nothing else than stainless steel makes sense. Just as You wrote, 304
SS is very easy to get and with a mercury makes unbeatable
combination. Molybdenum (and possibly tungsten) is more resistant to
sputtering (without mercury), but I dont know any nixie tube using a
moly cathodes.. Only SS. Aluminum develops an Al2O3 layer (insulation)
on air, so it is not much practical to use it. I think it would also
sputter massively. Stainless steel is easy to etch, I didnt find
anything better.

Dalibor

> What materials are best for the cathode? I have seen references to stainless
> steel, aluminum, nickel, titanium, molybdenum, stainless steel, and
> tungsten. According to "Cold Cathode Tubes" by JB Dance, "Heavy metal
> cathodes undergo sputtering more easily than light metals." I have never
> seen this statement anywhere, and no explanation for why this is the case. I
> have also heard that Nickel is particularly sensitive to sputtering damage.
> It would seem, then, that aluminum, and perhaps magnesium should be the most
> sputter resistant (pure) metals. Is this true? Molybdenum and Tungsten foils
> seem to be extremely expensive and difficult to find in decent quatities.
> Comparitively, 304 Stainless foil is absurdly easy to come by. Household
> aluminum foil supposedly has some sort of polymeric layer on top of it which
> probably would not be very vacuum compatible.
>
> Any other suggestions?
>
> Thanks.

Dalibor Farny