I have used flat top LEDs which have a somewhat white rough surface, they
are not absolutely clear, and then I placed a small amount of clear silicon
glue on top of that. The clear silicone glue turns milky white when it sets
and that spreads the light some which works quite well in my opinion, not
as well as a filament lamp but well enough for me. I also experimented with
placing a small round piece of aluminum right above the led chip and
reflector to remove the direct light and that helped some but it was tricky
to get a uniform light source. I also used a few standard milky white LEDs
and filed them down to get different light sources, but the flat top ones
worked best.

/Martin