Hi guys,

is there anyone here having a tube with "cathode poisoning" that is so
severe that cant be healed? It should be a bare metal depositing on
the cathodes, so I am very confused why it cannot be healed? What kind
of tube it is?

I am now making a small research on "aging" new tubes just after
manufacture (it was also used in original, industrially made tubes).
They have pretty dirty (not visible) cathodes, covered by oxides and
other residues, and I dont have any problem to make work every
cathode. When the tube is new, it has pretty non-uniform glow, I think
worse than "cathode poisoning", but after aging process, it works like
a charm. I use now 7 hours per cathode at 15mA, 50mm digits.

Thanks,

Dalibor

> Haha! I just use lazy tubes, they are happy they don't have to work so hard!
>
> Jonathan
>
> petehand <peteh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 9:48:29 AM UTC-7, Jonathan wrote:
>>
>> I guess i don't know why cathode poisoning is such a big deal. If the
>> digits i don't use don't work, what do I care?
>>
> I guess I agree with you. With wired-in tubes you don't have the option to
> rotate them anyway, and it's highly unlikely they'll ever be unsoldered for
> reuse. Once they're soldered in and the leads clipped, it's a life sentence.
> I have had to deal with some protests from the tens minutes and tens seconds
> nixies in my clocks once they realize their higher anodes are wasted, and
> the tens hours nixies sometimes get suicidally depressed, but with proper
> counseling they eventually accept their fate and I haven't had one follow
> through with its suicide threat yet.

Dalibor Farny