I spoke to a vacuum tube designer a few months ago, well into his nineties
now, who told me the same thing. He told me that apart from the glow fading
due to the material used to produce the glow many tubes had a problem with
the cathode not emitting electrons as designed and expected which also led
to less glow after some time. He told me that the two biggest areas in tube
design was in cathode design and grid design, all other areas he regarded
as simple! So I too think that it will be hard to find any long life eye
tubes out there.

/Martin