Dana četvrtak, 14. travnja 2016. u 16:56:43 UTC+2, korisnik gregebert
napisao je:

> I had no luck trying to depoison 1 or 2 Burroughs 5031 tubes, even after
> several hours. I considered these tubes expendable and put so much current
> thru them that they got hot. Darn! I didn't measure it, though.
>
> I'm amazed how quickly you were able to depoison your tubes; I was
> expecting days or even weeks.
>
> Did you purchase your tubes in this condition, or did it occur while they
> were in your project? I'm curious about the conditions and timeframe that
> cause poisoning. My 14-digit clock has several static digits, so I run a
> 1-hour depoisoning every night; maybe it's overkill ?

I bought the tube with cathode poisoning so I don't really know how long
was it operating and under which conditions. To be honest, I was also
surprised to see most of them recover in such shorter periods. I'm not sure
if it's of any significance but I digits that took less time to recover
were closer to the anode grid, perhaps there is something in that.

>From what I read on the web, the reason why your tubes didn't recover may
be that tubes have a certain point after which they no longer seem to be
repairable because the current that would be needed for healing to
effectively take place is way too high and would cause the destruction of
the tube. I don't know if your tubes still operated after cooling down,
mine seemed to be warm to the touch, but not hot?

Regarding my clock, I have the first version of it running for around half
a year now and there are no signs of cathode poisoning, probably both due
to the fact that the time was way too short for it to occur and also, I
enjoy the slot machine effect that I made for cathode poisoning prevention
so I let it spin for ~5 seconds every 1min. So I guess letting them run the
routine for 1 hour at night can't be a bad idea, I mean, you're sleeping
anyway and the tubes will sure benefit from it (I guess there is no damage
from exceeding the "standard" amount of time dedicated to anti-poisoning
routines) :)