Within last 2 years I've got lots of parcels  received to my Russian home
address from Europe, China, Japan and never had problem with Russian
Customs office, as unlike in the UK  (15GBP)  you can import goods to
Russia with up to 1000USD declared value with no extra pay of VAT or any
other customs duties...  Unfortunately  never had anything directly from
 USA to Russia, so it might be some specific/problem  related to
Russia-USA.....