I thought that there was actually an exchange of matter between the cathodes
going both ways when all the cathodes are on alternatively.
Which means that if only 1 or 2 cathodes are used, theses cathodes erode faster.
I don't know if the sputtering on the glass in the front is also worse on the
first hours digit?

But I also understand that the lifespan of a nixie is mostly a sum of the
lifespan of each cathode.
In some datasheets you can find the lifespan if only 1 digit is used or if the
same digit is on for a long time (the datasheet I just found says every 100
hours though...). Page 6 of the PDF from Telefunken for example :
http://www.tube-tester.com/sites/nixie/dat_arch/Telefunken_01.pdf

Perhaps the cathode poisoning prevention can prolong the lifespan a little, but
the first hours digit will inevitably fail first simply because in every case
the same 1 or 2 cathodes are on much longer than the others.

So for me the question remains.
Let's say there is a way to switch the position of the nixies without risk, by
moving them with their sockets for example :
Is it better to change the position regularly and have the 0s and 1s fail
(much?) later but on all nixies more or less at the same time, or is it better
to "sacrifice" one nixie, knowing that it will have to be replaced much more
often?