Hi Jeff,

I dont think there is a simple solution to protect the pins from
corrosion. Even the air humidity can develop leaks in the seals with
time. I know that JJ vacuum tube manufacturer uses gold coating on
pins of some of their tubes to prevent corrosion (I dont know if it
has actually any effect), but this is difficult to do on existing
nixie tubes. About the leaks itself - I heard that Tesla once produced
large batch of stems with small leaks. They decided not to trash them,
but apply a film of varnish (really) around the pins on finished tubes
to stop leaking. But this is rather ridiculous story than a
recomendation ;-)

Cheers,

Dalibor

> Dalibor,
>

> As an expert on the materials used in the manufacture of nixie tubes, would
> you recommend any method of cleaning or neutralizing the corrosion of the
> pins and seals?  Is there any chemical that could neutralize the chemical
> reaction of the pins which would slow down the process?
>

> Sometimes parts are shipped in bags with materials that protect the finish.
> In my early days with Texas instruments, IC’s were all shipped with a silver
> plating on pins which would tarnish badly if the shipping bags were unsealed
> and they often shipped them in containers with a chemical that was more
> chemically active in air to remove sulfides and etc to prevent tarnishing.
> They also used coated shipping rails that were static resistant with
> corrosion inhibitors.   Might there be something that could be placed inside
> a clock housing which would sacrifice itself to prevent oxidation/corrosion
> of the tube pins?

Dalibor Farny
phone: +420 724 321 571
http://www.daliborfarny.com