I forgot to add this.

For gas soldering of copper fittings I made up a fire proof station from
25mm vermiculite the material that is used to insulate walls from multi
fuel stoves. I made two plates about 200mm square and screwed them together
with long wood screws to make a 90 degree join. I used the off cuts to
level components being soldered together.