Voltage is irrelevant, other than just being high enough to initiate
ionization. These are not modern digital logic ICs. Things are not that
precise. This is kit, so there are anode current limiting resistors
preventing excess current. I don't know your electronics background, but
voltage and current are two different things. Voltage is "pressure", and
current is electron flow rate. You need pressure, for flow, so they are
related but different. Look at nixie basics:

<https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/nixie-basics.gif>

My nixie page <https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/nixie-power-supply/>

What you are reading on its datasheet, is probably the maintaining voltage.

Nixies are much like LEDs, as its a "current" device, as in electrical
current. The voltage drop (potential difference) finds its own value. For
LEDs its ~1.8V for red, ~3V for blue, and between 130 to 150V for a nixie.
The difference, however, other than voltage magnitude, is that an LED
plateaus at its voltage, where you need to reach a much higher "strike
voltage", with a nixie, and once it "strikes" (ionizes), the voltage across
the nixie drops, to its maintain (or sustain) voltage. A simple resistor
works fine in keeping excess current from damaging either an LED or nixie.
(see drawing). Yes, you do need to know math. Get over it, and learn.

As far as glowing wires. I assume the nixies are running in the kit. If
not, are you using a limiting resistor ?

Get a 170VDC source, or more, and run the individual numerals over time
(hours, days). This may just be "sleeping sickness", which is a temporary
form of cathode poisoning. Start with one numeral, and let it run until,
the numeral fully illuminates. Then go to the next numeral, until all 10
numerals (0-9) glow properly. Again remember to include the limiting anode
resistor, in the path. (see drawing).