On Wednesday, February 8, 2017 at 9:50:59 AM UTC-8, kitehman wrote:

> so i should shoot for just under the 2.5ma current rating and go for
> lowest striking voltage? higher voltage for a brighter display?

Yes, I would aim at 2.5mA. Exact value +/- not critical. You will find,
that once they strike, the maintaining voltage, is relative constant, as
you change the supply voltage. They are gas filled cold cathode tubes, and
just like neon bulbs, and tubes like the 0A3 and 0B2, they act as voltage
regulators. Very similar to a zener diode. So if you increase the supply
voltage, the neon voltage will increase ever so slightly, while most of the
voltage change will be across the anode limiting resistor. Since the
current is the voltage across that resistor divided by the voltage, then
the current will increase, and so will the brightness.

Its been suggested earlier, that you should look at pulse width modulation
(pwm). to adjust brightness. That is use a fixed value for supply voltage
and anode resistors, to get roughly 2.5mA per tube. But add a pass
transistor to your supply so you can turn it ON and OFF at a rate faster
than your eye can perceive flicker. For most people this is faster than
~30Hz. What exact frequency is not important. On the low end, visual
flicker is your boundary. At the high end, its the turn ON time of nixies.
It takes time for a nixie to ionize. I ran experiments on speed a tad over
10 years ago. The fastest I could get a nixie to turn ON, was a ZM1000,
with its primer electrode always ON, and a 200V supply. I could get it to
turn ON in 7uS. 20 to 30 is typical for most nixie tubes. 50uS nominal
worse case.

<https://threeneurons.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/timing01.jpg>
Nixie Details <https://threeneurons.wordpress.com/nixie-power-supply/>

So, in practical terms, I would set the minimum ON time for about 200uS. So
if you pick a PWM frequency of 100Hz, you'll get max brightness at 10mS
(0.01sec, 10000uS), and minimum at say 200uS, for a 50:1 brightness range.
Your eyes don't see linearly, though, so as you view it, that 50:1, will
look more like 5.6:1 (almost 6:1).