I've built quite a few Numitron clocks, most with the common (and
inexpensive) IV-9 tubes, but a couple with the large, attractive *top-view*
RCA DTF-104B tubes (which are pretty rare now).  I'm currently working on a
pocket watch using the diminutive Minitron displays (about the size of an
8-pin DIP).

My clocks use an 8051-derivative processor, direct-drive using 74HC595
shift registers.  It was a bit of a pain, but to extend the life of the
tubes, I keep all of the filaments heated even when visibly "off".  The
"on" segments are heated to whatever the desired brightness is, using a
look-up table for a PWM ratio of 3:32 to 1:1 (the perceived brightness is
very non-linear to the actual on/off ratio).  The off segments are excited
with a 1:32 ratio, which is just below the point of a visible glow - in a
completely dark room, after my eyes have dark-adapted, I can just barely
see a dull glow from the "off" segments.  I hadn't thought of using current
limiting during the initial warm-up, though...

Note that even without this sort of gentle treatment, these tubes have very
long life-spans.  The US tubes (RCA Numitrons, Apollo IEE-series, or the
Minitrons) all have a specified life expectancy of 100,000 hours at full
drive voltage, and it goes up dramatically from there at lower drive
voltages.  Also, they're surprisingly rugged mechanically: rated peak
acceleration *during operation* of 100g, and continuous operation with 20g
vibration from 5-500 Hz - these things were designed to be installed in
fighter jets.  Add in the fact they're readable in direct sunlight, and one
can see why it's only been in the last decade or so that the Minitron
displays are finally disappearing from airplane cockpits.
~~
Mark Moulding