Running them at a high currenr for a while has workee, except for one
holdout. This digit will light at about 4mA, which is the maximum
recommended. Occasionally it will light at 2mA. When it lights it pulls the
same current as all the other digits, otherwise it draws less. So I am
wondering if a constant current source might convince this recalcitrant
digit to light. Or maybe I just want to play with a constant current source!

I've looked up a bunch of sources on the web (and here on this group!), but
I really don't know enough to follow what is being said. I really need a
circuit diagram, with specific parts and maybe some formulae I can slap in
a spreadsheet if I need to adjust stuff. I get that there are drawbacks to
simple solutions, but this is just to play around with. If anyone could
help me out with this, I would be very grateful. In the meantime, I will
keep plugging away with what I can find on the internet.