On 04/11/2017 06:14 PM, gregebert wrote:
> I encountered problems with light reflecting off the nixies, and it also
> washed-out the glow, so I thought the solution was to photograph in
> low-light. Attempting low-light photography led to annoying reflections of
> light from adjacent tubes. The picture I use for my icon from my big clock*
> looks* horrible, but the clock itself looks amazing. After several
> different exposure settings and lighting conditions I was not able to get a
> 'perfect shot'. I concluded I would need to use photoshop, etc to get
> something acceptable.

This is the pro solution

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dulling-Spray-11-Ounces/24419272?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1453&adid=22222222227025898045&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52337137695&wl4=pla-79434469695&wl5=21160&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112550049&wl11=online&wl12=24419272&wl13=&veh=sem

This is an aerosol spray that applies a slightly dulling coating to the
object.  It doesn't completely dry and is easily wiped off with a cloth
afterwards or for inaccessible places, blown off with an air hose.

A second option is to use a polarizing filter.  If you plan on using
your auto-focus then a less effective circular polarized filter must be
used.  If you can manually focus then a linear polarized filter will
provide a much greater extinction ratio (ratio of light passed to light
blocked).

Glare is always polarized.  You might find a circular filter does an
adequate job.  If not, focus is achieved and then a linear polarized
filter is held in front of the lens and rotated until the glare disappears.

Hand-holding the filter can be done but becomes tedious if many photos
are to be shot.  I haven't found a ready-made holder for point and shoot
cameras so I made my own.

It's very simple - a length of aluminum flat stock drilled and tapped
for 1/4-20 on one end.  This goes between the tripod and camera and
generally requires an extended tripod bolt.

The other end is bent up 90 deg and trimmed until it just barely
disappears from the camera's image.  It should almost touch the lens
when the lens is fully extended.

Here's the trick.  Choose a filter diameter large enough to cover the
whole image when zoomed in and out.  Then buy a haze filter of the same
diameter.  That's about the cheapest thing you can get in that diameter.

Break the glass out of the haze filter.  What's left is a ring with the
proper male and female threads. This ring is epoxied to the aluminum
after the stock is curved with a dremel tool to fit the OD of the haze
filter.

Now simply thread the polarizing filter into the mount and it's done.
You can rotate the filter on its threads to see if the effects change.

One final comment.  I may be old-fashioned but anything that can be
fixed in a photo editor is a mistake made by the photographer.  I'm not
talking about the high end stuff such as slenderizing a model's arms or
giving her bigger boobs.  I'm talking about stuff that pre-digital would
be considered bad technique.

Get it right in the original exposure and photo editing won't be
necessary except for cropping.

John

--
John DeArmond