A friend made a good point by private e-mail... The mod as originally shown
will potentially place +5 or GND directly on a processor GPIO pin. Not a
good idea...

All of my devices have a series resistor on their PIR input pins -
typically 10k. In most cases there are ESD clamps on my designs as well. A
pull-down to assure no false triggering is also present on some of my
clocks. One or more of these are quite possibly not the case for devices
you are using.

For this reason, consider adding a series resistor on the output of the
modified PIR detector downstream of the switch. Look at the input circuit
for any device you are driving with the modified PIR module and decide what
value of output resistors on the module make sense for your device.
Consider current driven into the receiving device - especially through
input protection diodes. Also watch out for voltage dividers that may be
formed with input networks on the target device - as an example, there
might be a pull-down or pull-up on the connected device input to prevent
false triggering. 2K into a 10k pull-down meets minimum voltage high and
low levels on one of my clocks. (Try sending PIR and true RS-232 down a
shared cable... The cap coupling from GPS data edges in the cable can be
enough to trigger a PIR input without a modest pull-down. Ask me how I
know?)