> I bought a book on Eagle to learn,

I bought an Eagle book too, but didn't find it very helpful and ended up
learning more from online tutorials.

> but I switched to DipTrace

That's another one I plan to investigate.

> when I realized how much Eagle would cost to make boards that would hold 8,
> Z568 tubes.

Back when I was using the Hobbyist version of Eagle, I had a similar problem
with a board for 8 IN-8-2 tubes, and another project with a microcontroller
controlling a bunch of triacs.  In both cases, I ended up dividing the boards
up.  Then IN-8-2 project, I split it into two boards of 4 tubes apiece with
right-angle connectors between them and a vertical one using the same pads to
bring the signals in.  This way, the two boards were identical, and with some
PCB houses, that's a cheaper way to go (for example, OSHPark offers 3 copies of
a board for a price based on the board's size).  The triac project ended up
working the same way, I had a CPU board and then a bunch of 8-channel triac
boards connected with ribbon cables.  This actually ended up making the
solution fairly versatile, as some computer controlled lighting software
supports 16 channels (so I'd use 2 8-channel boards), but some could utilize
all 24 channels available (so I'd plug in 3 boards).

Even though I now have the full professional version of Eagle, I've found that
the decision I once made of necessity I now still often make by choice.

- John