Unfortunately, I haven't seen this kind of approach in any Polish equipment
- even the V54x voltmeters/multimeters used full sized Z566Ms for all
digits even though the leftmost digit was showing only "1" or nothing*. I
also haven't seen any long neon bulb in any of equipment.
*I can't remember if only "1"  was wired or "0" was wired too, but this
tube definitely didn't have a 74141 for full drive and was mostly off
during regular operation.