"insanely expensive" YES! That is true of any and all new technologies that I can think of. It wasn't that long ago that small flat screen, hang on the wall, televisions were several thousands of dollars. Now they are available NIB for under three hundred bucks.  The really large sets keep coming down in price as well. And the quality keeps getting better as well.      Ira