I have written previously about a similar incident with ATmega328p chips
ordered from Aliexpress. They did not arrived in a reel, but just packed in
a small plastic bag. Two of them worked fine, but Atmel Studio was unable
to even read the ID of the third one, thus rendering it unprogrammable and
useless..and since it's an SMD, it was not as easy as just popping it out
of the socket. I guess they are chips which failed QC and somehow, these
companies got them, performed a somewhat "basic check" and sold them as new
ones.

I have also ordered a lot of 10 DS3231 chips from some other Aliexpress
seller (they had considerable 5* ratings so I decided to give it a try).
They were like 14$/10pcs. The chips worked, the time is still very precise
after two years of operation of the older clock I made. However, I did
notice one "bug" in the chip. If you keep querying the chip too often (like
in an unconditional loop) for seconds, it will eventually hang the I2C
line. The solution was to set a timeout for I2C read operation, and if
timeout does occur, the master (microcontroller) has to keep clocking the
SCL line until the DS3231 releases the bus. However, I've read some people
reporting the same "bug" on multiple sites, so I'm not sure if it's a "bug"
specific to possibly counterfeit chips or just a general bug that affects
genuine ones as well.