I built a clock using those pinball reels, but (for the reason the Mr.
Smout mentioned, I didn't use the original electro-mechanical drivers
(although I had them).  Instead, I mounted each reel on a stepper motor,
and drove each stepper with a little 8051-based controller - six of them in
total.  I connected them all on a primitive one-directional network (along
with a couple of other devices), and ran them all from the serial port of
an Arduino.  This worked very well, and was virtually silent.  The motors
never seemed to miss a step, but in case they did I had a flag and an
opto-interrupter at the zero position, so each digit would verify and if
necessary re-calibrate every time it displayed a zero (also at power-up, of
course).
~~
Mark Moulding