@gregebert: Yes, I ordered a switching regulator. The 6.3V AC just happens
to be available on the transformer I am using for other purposes.

@jfeng: I am tending to agree that an isolated 5V power adapter is the way
to go, particularly as I will want the logic circuits to stay functioning
even if I disconnect the mains transformer. However, as an exercise, this
is turning out to be more interesting than I thought, so I will pursue it
for a while longer. Not sure if I'm up for building my own buck/boost
converter. Yet.